Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Disabled Access

The practice is equipped with facilites for the disabled e.g. access ramps and double doors.

If you anticipate any difficulty, please ring reception prior to your visit.

Disabled car parking spaces are also provided. We hope that they will be available for disabled patients and/or their carers when visiting the practice.

Car Parking

Our surgery car park is provided for your use when attending the practice. We would ask that disabled car parking bays remain available for patients with mobility problems, and/or their carers when escorting them to and from the practice.

Home visits

Requests for home visits may be made by calling the surgery reception on (0191) 374 6888,  preferably before 10.00 a.m.  The duty doctor may contact you to gain more information regarding your request for a home visit.

In general, we ask that patients only request a home visit if they are genuinely housebound and too unwell to come to the surgery. If so, you will usually be visited by a doctor after morning surgery.

The computerised records and some pieces of medical equipment which are so helpful in modern general practice are only available at the surgery.

Your doctor can usually see several patients at the surgery in the time that it takes to make a single housecall.

Emergencies and Out of Hours

In the event of a medical emergency, please call 999.

If you required non urgent medical advice and the practice is closed, please call 111. For more information about 111, please see the NHS website